Malaysia Business Licenses: Types of Licenses & Timelines

12 min read|Last Updated: May 31, 2024|

After setting up your company in Malaysia, you must obtain the necessary business licenses required. At this time, Malaysia categorizes business licenses into three main groups: general licenses, sector/industry-specific licenses, and activity-specific licenses. In essence, your required business license in Malaysia will depend on your involved industry.

How Malaysia Business Licenses Apply To Foreigners

Before applying for business licenses, however, one must first set up a business. In addition, Companies (Sdn. Bhd.) in Malaysia can be 100% foreign-owned, without any local director requirements. However, a minimum of one director must have local residence in Malaysia.

With this in mind, if you are operating a business without license requirements, having a Sdn. Bhd. is the easiest to set up, operate, and maintain. A few business activities for example include:

  • E-commerce platforms or other forms of digital platforms
  • Offering services like photography, commissioning art, coaching etc.
  • General consulting or management consulting

Following the Companies Act, all companies are regulated by the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM). With the result that in operating a business in a physical location (office, shops etc), and specific to certain industries, every company must obtain a business license.

  • Locally owned companies would generally experience swifter and smoother approvals and less stringent requirements in comparison with foreign-owned companies.
  • Foreign-owned companies often inquire about the necessity of a local representative(s). Because without one, processes may drag on. In addition, if your industry requires a license, full foreign ownership may present more challenges compared to your counterparts.

Things You MUST Prepare Before Applying for Malaysia Business Licenses

While the requirements may differ slightly according to the category of license you’re applying for, the documents you will need to obtain a business license in Malaysia include the following:

  • A copy of your identity card/passport.
  • A passport-sized photograph.
  • A copy of your rental/tenancy agreement or sale and purchase agreement.
  • Photographs of your business premise.
  • Photographs of the intended location for your company’s signboard (applicable to the Signboard License). You will also need to provide samples indicating the colour and the design of your intended signboard.
  • Copy of your Certificate of Fitness for the business premise.
  • Copy of Fire Department’s support letter.

Furthermore, on top of the basic documentation listed, here are the top 3 factors to consider in your application:

1. Have You Prepared a Business Plan?

A business plan is one of the most common documents that authorities will request for license application, along with work visas and employment passes. A business plan should serve as a key point of reference to gauge the feasibility of a business. Additionally, it should be used to determine how your business contributes to the local economy and to be used to measure progress against objectives.

Thus, your business plan should answer these questions:

  • Is the business contributing to the local economy?
  • Does the business plan address the feasibility of the business?
  • Is Malaysia a key market in your business plan?

2. What Business Can Foreigners Be Involved In?

There are generally minimal restrictions on foreign investment in Malaysia. Where unless subject to the qualifications set out below, foreign investors can hold 100% equity in all investments.

With this in mind, the principal industries that are subject to restrictions on foreign investment and might require a minimum Bumiputera ownership include:

  • Financial services
  • Capital markets
  • The insurance and Islamic insurance (takaful) industries
  • The petroleum industry
  • Communications and multimedia
  • Wholesale and distributive trade (in relation to hypermarkets and food and restaurant businesses)
  • Education
  • Freight forwarding and shipping
  • Water
  • Energy supply
  • Professional services
  • Security and employment agencies

3. Have You Got the Necessary Funds?

Find out what are the paid-up capital requirements for the sector you are in. Usually, the amount of paid-up capital required depends on the level of local ownership in a company, for example:

  • Less than 25% of local shares require RM1,000,000 paid-up capital;
  • 25% local shares require RM750,000 paid-up capital;
  • 50% local shares require RM500,000 paid-up capital;
  • More than 75% of local shares require RM250,000 paid-up capital only.

Duration of Business License Approval in Malaysia

The total application time may be anywhere between one month and six months. With this in mind, the duration heavily depends on the type of industry license for which the business owner is applying for (this includes small businesses and retail stores). Additionally, the ministry that issues the business license in Malaysia, will inspect the business premises before doing so.

Business license MY

Types of Business Licenses in Malaysia

Generally, Malaysia’s business licenses are divided into 3 categories:

  • General licenses from local town councils
  • Industry or sector specific licenses from government ministries
  • Activity specific licenses

1. General licenses

2. Industry or sector-specific licenses

The following table lists the available licenses offered by the Malaysian government.

Industry License Authority
Manufacturing/Factory Manufacturing License Malaysian Investment and Development Authority (MIDA)
Banking Central Bank License for Banking, Financing, and Leasing Bank Negara Malaysia
Direct Selling Direct Selling License Malaysian Direct Distribution Association (MDDA)
Construction Construction Industrial Development Board and Engineering License Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB)
Distributive Imports and Exports Wholesale Retail Trade (WRT) License for Trading, Import and Export, Consultancy, and Restaurant Business Management Malaysian Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (MDTCA) or KPDNKK as locally known
Education Licenses for establishing Schools, Colleges, Universities, Tuition Centers, and Language Centers Ministry of Education
Transport Car Rental and Vehicle Leasing License Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia (MOTAC)
Hotel For Budget Hotel License and Luxury Hotels
Tourism Inbound, Outbound, Ticketing License
Media Publication License for Magazines and Books / Broadcasting License for Music, Singing, TV, and Radio Malaysian Communications And Multimedia (MCMC)
ICT Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) License Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)

3. Activity specific licenses

  • Sales Tax License
  • Certificate of Fitness for Certified Machinery
  • Building Plan Approval
  • Expatriate Post Approval
  • Air Pollution Control Equipment Approval for any installation, alteration or relocation

For example, those who intend to operate in the retail industry or oversee factories or restaurants as a foreigner in Malaysia, will be required to apply for business licenses from the following government departments:

  • SSM
  • Local town councils in Malaysia
  • Fire Brigade Department

Relationship Between Malaysia Business License & Employment Pass

In order to get an Employment Pass after incorporation, your business must apply for a license first. With this purpose in mind, please find below an overview of what is to come:

First Stage: Malaysia Incorporation

  • 10 working days upon submission of documents
  • RM1,000 paid up capital only

Second Stage: License and registration

  • 2-6 months
  • For business activities in wholesale, retail, trade (WRT), consulting and services, we will apply to the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) for a WRT or BIP license. For business activities in technology however, we will apply with Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC).

Third: Employment Pass application

  • 3-6 months
  • The company must have the relevant business licenses
  • You should be running business for a recommended 3-6 months before application of Employment Pass for a higher success rate.
  • It is recommended to apply for one EP at a time.
  • The company must have the minimum paid up capital in the bank account

Malaysia WRT License: The Most Common Trade License for Foreigners

The Wholesale, Retail and Trade (WRT) License is among the most common trade licenses required by foreigners. Furthermore, this License is applied to the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNKK).

Foreigners must obtain a WRT license approval for the categories mentioned before they can apply for their DP10 work permit with the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

In order to apply for a WRT license in Malaysia, you will need to pay a minimum paid-up capital of RM1 million, this including all categories of the license. Another key point is that your company must also be fully set up with a valid tenancy agreement as well. Additionally, owners of new companies must also submit their business plan.

Business License

The WRT license is also applicable to non-resident companies which are completely foreign-owned. Businesses which are involved in any of the following industries will be required to apply for a WRT license:

  • Retail (franchise, goods, and services)
  • Import
  • Export
  • Consultancy activities
  • Trading
  • Franchise

A WRT license is renewable every two years. With this in mind, there are four options available under this category, which are as follows:

  • Services and Consultancy
  • Franchise Business
  • Restaurant
  • Retail, Trading (Import and Export), Distributive Trades


The license application will generally take 3-4 months. However, we would like to disclaim that government processing is very susceptible to delays, and we can only assist you with going to great extents in the application process and chasing for responses.

Company Paid-up capital*

100% Local Owned RM 250,000
Joint Venture (minimum foreign equity is 30%) RM 350,000
100% Foreign Owned RM 500,000
Foreign-owned companies running Wholesale, Retail and Trade (WRT) License is compulsory. (Refer to the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism WRT license application guideline) RM 1,000,000

* Not applicable to incorporated limited companies, and associations/ organisations following the laws of Malaysia

Company criteria

  • You must meet the minimum requirements before we can assist you with the application.
  • You must have your own office space;
  • You must have your own staff employed the director has to be present during site inspections;
  • You must have the minimum paid-up capital in the corporate bank account.

Required documents

  • Comprehensive Company Profile and Business Plan
  • Copy of IRB’s tax registration confirmation letter
  • Copy of Tenancy Agreement
  • Photo of the premises
  • Product list with pricing
  • Photo of product/services offered
  • List of expatriate details

MSC/ MD Status Most Common For Tech Companies in Malaysia

We are happy to assist you with the application for a Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) Status, which at this point has been rebranded as the Malaysia Digital (MD) Status. In particular, this status is applied to the Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC). The MD Status is for ICT and ICT-facilitated businesses to obtain tax breaks and advantages in Malaysia.

Company criteria

  • Provide or heavy user of IT & multimedia products & services;
  • Employ a substantial number of knowledge workers;
  • Strong value proposition specifying how operations will contribute to the development of MSC Malaysia;
  • Establish separate legal entity for MSC-qualifying activities;
  • Locate in a MSC Malaysia designated Cybercity or Cybercentre;
  • Comply with environmental guidelines.

The company must be a provider of services related to the following:

  • Big Data Analytics (BDA)
  • Artificial Intelligence (AI)
  • Financial Technology (FinTech)
  • Internet of Things (IoT)
  • Data Centre and Cloud (technology/software/ design and support)
  • Blockchain
  • Creative Media Technology
  • Sharing Economy Platform
  • User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX)
  • Integrated Circuit (IC) Design and Embedded Software
  • 3D Printing (technology/software/design and support)
  • Robotics (technology/software/design)
  • Autonomous (technology/software/design and support)
  • Systems /Networks Architecture Design and Support
  • Global Business Services or Knowledge Process Outsourcing (excludes non-technical and/or low-value call centre, data entry, and recruitment process outsourcing.

MSC Tier Categories

Type of Incentive Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3
Percentage of income tax exemption 100% 70%
Exemption period 5 years 5 years
Extension of the exemption period 5 years May apply for extension provided that the company changed to Tier 1 or Tier 2 and fulfils the conditions imposed
Standard Conditions: Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3
To be complied with within 24 months from the date of award of MSC Malaysia Status and thereafter during the exemption period
(1) Location of approved MSC Malaysia Promoted Activities Designated Premises within MSC Malaysia Cybercities or Cybercentre Other Commercial Premises within MSC Malaysia Cybercities or Cybercentre Not subjected to location requirement
(2) Commencement of operation and undertaking of the approved MSC Malaysia Promoted Activities in Malaysia
Minimum KPI Numbers
Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3
To be complied with by the end of Year 2 from the commencement date of the exemption period and thereafter during the exemption period
(3) Paid-up capital RM500,000* RM250,000
(4) Full-time employees (comprising Knowledge Workers) with monthly base salary (i) 50 full-time employees with a monthly base salary of RM5,000; OR (ii) 30 full-time employees with a monthly base salary of RM10,000 (i) 30 full-time employees with a monthly base salary of RM5,000; OR (ii) 20 full-time employees with a monthly base salary of RM8,000
Data Centre: 5 full-time employees with a monthly base salary of RM5,000
(5) Annual operating expenditure and investment in fixed asset RM3,500,000 RM1,000,000
Data Centre: RM10,000,00
(6) Percentage of Malaysian Knowledge Workers (for the full-time employees in (4) above) 70% 50%
*Note: The minimum paid-up capital amount needs to be increased to RM2.5 million by the end of Year 5 from the commencement date of the exemption period, to be eligible for the extension of the exemption period for the second 5 years

Our thoughts

As easy as it is for foreigners to set up companies in Malaysia if you fall under a regulated sector requiring licenses, or if you need an Employment Pass (which automatically means you need a business license), the process would have just gotten a lot more complicated however.

The best industry to be in at this time right now for Employment Pass applications is the tech industry. We’ve been seeing smoother applications for specialists applying directly with MDEC.

If not, getting licenses from other industries is a matter of “How much local involvement does your company have?”. Be it a local director, local shareholder or local employee, being an active contributor to the economy would help your case.


Come down to our office or connect with us virtually to discuss your company incorporation, and other corporate services today.


How long does it take to secure all business licenses?2024-03-15T17:21:38+08:00

This is dependent on several factors, but most businesses have managed to secure their licenses within 14 working days.

Do you need a business license to incorporate?2024-03-15T17:21:51+08:00

No, but business licenses are needed to operate legally.

Are Business Licenses from Malaysia also valid in other Countries?2024-03-15T17:22:07+08:00

Business licenses issued in Malaysia only pertain to businesses which have been set up there. Therefore, such licenses are not valid in countries other than Malaysia.

What is a DP10 Work Permit?2024-03-15T17:22:23+08:00

In Malaysia, a DP10 work permit is also known as a Professional Work Permit Visa. It is valid for two years but can have its validity extended by up to 10 years. It is meant for foreigners deemed to be skilled workers.

What are the Primary purposes of SSM?2024-03-15T17:22:34+08:00

SSM was established in 2002. It is a statutory body that functions under the auspices of the Malaysian government. Its primary purposes are those of assisting in company incorporation and business registration as well as providing information about companies and businesses in Malaysia to the public.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

More Business Insights

Undecided or got questions

Got other questions?

Drop us a message on WhatsApp or connect with us through our contact form.

Join the discussions

  1. Profile Picture For PHP
    josephine June 1, 2022 at 8:21 pm - Reply

    Hi, if i would like to start a computer training class, what license would be required?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page June 7, 2022 at 4:12 pm

      Hi Josephine,

      Sounds like a great idea! You will require a license only if you’d like to be a government-registered training provider.

      If you’re looking to incorporate your company, feel free to reach out to us on WhatsApp and we can advise accordingly based on the information you’ve shared about your business idea.


  2. Profile Picture For PHP
    Liew Jin Hong May 6, 2022 at 3:55 pm - Reply

    Does an online seller need a license?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page May 9, 2022 at 10:11 am

      Hi Jin Hong,

      most of the e-commerce stores do not require a license.

  3. Profile Picture For PHP
    Liew Jin Hong May 6, 2022 at 3:51 pm - Reply

    Hi, is it a must have a shop before applying a business truck licence?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page May 9, 2022 at 10:11 am

      Hi Jin Hong,

      you can start to apply for the license required after your company has been successfully incorporated.

  4. Profile Picture For PHP
    Jasvindar Kaur July 7, 2021 at 9:50 am - Reply

    1)Hi, does a home baker need a license?
    2)I noticed that some are selling alcohol cakes, do they need a special license? Like a liquor license?

  5. Profile Picture For PHP
    Ethan Soh June 22, 2021 at 8:28 am - Reply

    Is there a license to apply for selling food beside rood with a stall?

  6. Profile Picture For PHP
    Moussab Othman May 4, 2021 at 3:23 am - Reply

    Hi ,
    what are the requirements for opening a gym ?

  7. Profile Picture For PHP
    Dora April 7, 2021 at 12:13 pm - Reply

    I’m thinking of starting a small retail mainly in importing rice. How should I start? Thanks

  8. Profile Picture For PHP
    Mathew March 14, 2021 at 11:23 am - Reply

    Hi i am interested in opening a retail liquor/wine store. What are the license required and what is the cost involved?

  9. Profile Picture For PHP
    Joceyln February 23, 2021 at 2:23 pm - Reply

    Hi, I’m planning to sell candles online through platforms such as shopee, lazada, amazon and etc. I have registered my business under ssm. Do I need to get any other license or permit in order to sell my candles?

  10. Profile Picture For PHP
    MUHAMMAD YOOSUF SHAH BIN MOHAMED ALI January 16, 2021 at 12:40 pm - Reply

    Hello there, I want to start my own beverage brand (non alcoholic), I got the raw material from other region already, other than that like glass bottle from outside. My question here is what license needed for me to manufacture here in Malaysia? For example if I ask pelangi manufacturing to manufacture my bottles, other than Halal certificate, SSM what else I need? Thank you in advance.

  11. Profile Picture For PHP
    Zaila O. January 13, 2021 at 9:22 pm - Reply

    Hi Paul,

    I registered a fashion business with SSM and I do it from home. My business address as registered is my home address. I specialise in printing t-shirts, name tag embroidery and sewing of fabric mask.

    What other business license do I need apart from my business registration certificate?

    Note that the business is registered here in Malaysia as an enterprise. Meanwhile, I’m Malay.

  12. Profile Picture For PHP
    Theva.v December 30, 2020 at 8:48 pm - Reply

    Hi Paul,

    I were planned to open up a barber shop.
    Besides SSM, any other licensing needed?
    Thank you.

  13. Profile Picture For PHP
    Arthur November 15, 2020 at 11:10 am - Reply


    May I know whether I need to have an SDN BHD in order to get an import export licence?

    Thank you

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Tiwi November 17, 2020 at 10:29 am

      Yes, to obtain an export import license, you will need to have an Sdn Bhd company first.

      Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

  14. Profile Picture For PHP
    Lizzie July 9, 2020 at 2:33 pm - Reply

    Could you provide me more details about the criteria to apply Liquor License? Also what are the requirements and fees. Thanks

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Tiwi July 17, 2020 at 10:42 am

      Hi Lizzie

      The type of license you require depends on your exact business plan and the needs you have. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact us via Paul Hype Page.

      Thank you for your comment.

      Warm regards

  15. Profile Picture For PHP
    Beth July 2, 2020 at 8:57 pm - Reply

    Hi Paul,

    Do I need to apply for any trade/business license to teach piano from home?

    Thank you

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Tiwi July 15, 2020 at 9:32 am

      Hi Victor
      Yes, your business would require certain licenses in order to teach music. The licensing requirements vary depending on your specific business and your needs. To discuss further, please contact us at Paul Hype Page.
      Thank you for your comment.
      Warm regards

  16. Profile Picture For PHP
    Amanda June 25, 2020 at 10:55 am - Reply


    If I would like to start a business of connecting enterprisers with errand runners, and to provide marketing solutions to enterprise on an online platform. May I know what type of licenses are required? I am based in Malaysia.

    Thank you and very much appreciated.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Tiwi July 6, 2020 at 11:43 am

      Hi Amanda
      The licenses required depends on the nature of your business. If the errand runners are freelancers or employees to your firm, will affect the license requirements. If you would prefer, please contact us so we can better advise you.
      To facilitate further discussion, please contact us at Paul Hype Page.

      Thank you for your comment.
      Warm regards

  17. Profile Picture For PHP
    Shiva November 19, 2019 at 4:08 pm - Reply

    Hello Paul,
    Hope all good at your end.
    Well i am running a registered callcenter in Pakistan and looking to have an office in malaysia for callcenter and online Digital web designing work.
    Kindly let me know the requirement

    Awaiting for your prompt response

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Tiwiyah Kumaran November 25, 2019 at 9:53 am

      Hello Shiva,

      If you are interested in starting a business in Malaysia, you will have to incorporate the company according to the regulations which have been specified by the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM).

      For further information on incorporation, please contact us at any time.
      Thank you.

  18. Profile Picture For PHP
    simon peek July 19, 2019 at 4:58 pm - Reply

    Good days, I am planning to start an online business selling liquor products, do I need to apply any type of license in order to legally operate without hassle?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Tiwiyah Kumaran July 22, 2019 at 11:56 am

      Hi Simon:

      To start an online business which sells alcoholic beverages in Malaysia, you may require a liquor license. The exact type of license will depend on the nature of your business and where the beverages are to be consumed.
      You will have to incorporate your company first before applying the license. Our company startup experts will be able to help you from the start. Contact us today for a quotation.


  19. Profile Picture For PHP
    Ram April 8, 2019 at 1:19 pm - Reply

    Good day
    Hai i would like to start gold business with my partner from afirica he is the owner for goods and he would like to bring his goods from afirica and storage in our bank and my part to sell it .i have consultant ssm , what are the other license or procedure i need follow .my partner have his trade license and export license from his country .can you give me any guidelines tq

  20. Profile Picture For PHP
    Zoma March 28, 2019 at 12:40 pm - Reply

    Hi, I would like to register a Sdn bhd company which main Activity is organizing business events, trade shows and exhibitions. What type of business license will I need? Thanks

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page & Co March 28, 2019 at 5:28 pm

      Hi Zoma,
      First and foremost, thank you for choosing Paul Hype Page as your preferred corporate service specialist.

      Now, please allow me to answer your question.
      1. Foreign companies conducting services (which could include events) is required to obtain a WRT licence from the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism.

      2. However, further licensing might be required, depending on the venue of your events, the type of event that is going to be taking place, the number of pax that is expected, outdoor or indoor, and etc. There will have some other required licensing, depending on the criteria stated.

      3. We could perhaps assist you further if you provide us with more details of the event.

      Best Regards,

  21. Profile Picture For PHP
    Kenny March 1, 2019 at 3:43 pm - Reply

    Good day,
    I would like to open an act show gallery. Does it require to apply license in Malaysia?

  22. Profile Picture For PHP
    Karthigeyan S.Palanisamy December 20, 2018 at 11:44 am - Reply

    Good Day

    I would like to open a Barber shop and Cash Wash Business, However i am new to this. What would be the process like, How would i register my business and do i need (SSM) ?

    Any guidance will be much appreciated.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page February 21, 2019 at 10:45 am

      Dear Palanisamy,

      Yes all company requires a corporate Secretary to setup and incorporate and also to follow up on the business annual compliance reports.
      Do contact us for a full set of incorporation services all under one roof. Email

  23. Profile Picture For PHP
    `Mimi July 7, 2018 at 3:31 am - Reply

    Hye there,

    During sign off to get the sdn bhd license, all the share partners must be at Malaysia or one (Director) is enuf?
    – 51% share belong to a malaysian
    – the rest belong to foreigners.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page July 13, 2018 at 11:17 am

      Dear Mimi,

      Thank you for contacting us. Generally, a Sdn Bhd requires 1 Director minimum. The Director can be individual or corporate but must have at least 1 local Malaysian.

      Also, it must be decided if the ownership will be joint venture with Malaysians or 100% foreign owned, as this will affect the paid up capital needed for different purpose of incorporation. Should you require more assistance and advice, please do drop us an email at and our Corporate Specialist will get back to you.

      Best Regards,

  24. Profile Picture For PHP
    Sarah June 8, 2018 at 2:20 pm - Reply

    Hi, We just registered our company in Malaysia but was temporarily closed for a while. We are looking for someone who could manage it initially such as a Company Director and Secretary. This company is 100% fully owned by a foreigner, a Sdh Bhd. Thus, I’m looking for cost-effective service fees and charges. Can you give me details, please.

    Thank you.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page June 13, 2018 at 8:28 pm

      Dear Sarah,

      Thank you for getting in touch. Please drop us an email at and our Corporate Specialist will get back to you as soon as possible with any details you require.

      Best Regards,

  25. Profile Picture For PHP
    Leo May 30, 2018 at 8:13 pm - Reply

    Hi there, I intend to provide stock/financial trading courses and business consultancy in Malaysia, do I require any specific license regarding on that?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page June 5, 2018 at 6:10 pm

      Dear Leo,

      Thank you for contacting us. Please drop us an email at (if you haven’t already done so), and our Corporate Specialist will get back to you as soon as possible.

      Best Regards,

  26. Profile Picture For PHP
    Jaso May 15, 2018 at 4:52 am - Reply

    Give me a call.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page May 16, 2018 at 4:45 pm

      Dear Jaso,

      Thank you for contacting us. Please drop us an email at if you haven’t already done so, and our Corporate Specialist will get back to you as soon as possible.

      Best Regards,

  27. Profile Picture For PHP
    Johann Lim March 1, 2018 at 5:40 pm - Reply

    Dear Paul,

    I would like to ask if were to operate a data server factory in Selangor, what license do I need?
    And, I believed it will be in the ICT/MSC category, any benefits (eg. tax exemption) that I can obtain from there?

    Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

    Johann Lim

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page March 23, 2018 at 5:51 pm

      Dear Johann,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      To set up a data centre, you do not need any special license from the authority. However, you need a Private Limited Company (Sdn. Bhd.), premise license for your office and signage license (if there is any signage involved). Our Corporate Specialist has already gotten in touch with you with more details.

      Best Regards,

  28. Profile Picture For PHP
    peter December 31, 2017 at 6:11 pm - Reply


    We are setting up a car rental company. please advice what type of license we shall apply?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page January 26, 2018 at 3:22 pm

      Dear Peter,

      Thank you for getting in touch. Our Corporate Specialist will be advise you regarding the business setup process in Malaysia and the different types of business license. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at

      Best Regards,

  29. Profile Picture For PHP
    Syamsudin October 28, 2017 at 12:50 pm - Reply

    Please help me.
    My company have plan to start business in malaysia. Can you help me to get answer below?

    1. For financial company or leasing business, Does foriegn company owen 100% share?
    2. How many type of business license for financial institution in malaysia?
    3. How to get that license?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page November 8, 2017 at 10:39 am

      Dear Syamsudin,

      Thank you for getting in touch.

      1. You cannot have 100% foreign ownership in this case.

      2. In Malaysia, you will need a Bank Negara Malayska license and possibly Securities Commission license if there are securities involved.

      3. To get the license, you will need to apply with Bank Negara MAlaysia and Securities Commission.

      Hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to make an appointment with us.

      Best Regards,

  30. Profile Picture For PHP
    Danny Kitto August 16, 2017 at 11:24 pm - Reply

    Hi, I am considering to have a 100% foreign company in Malaysia.
    Nature of business in repairing and maintenance of air conditioning systems for buildings and factories. Do I need WRT license to operate and apply visa for my directors?
    Also what do I need to apply for my foreign directors and how much (cost) and how long?

    Thank you.


    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page September 28, 2017 at 4:07 pm

      Dear Suteru,

      Yes, a WRT is required for foreign owned companies in Malaysia. As for the foreign director, we need to know which country are they from and the duration of their stay in Malaysia. Only then we will be able advise you accordingly. My colleague will email you with more information, please feel free to drop us an email at or if you have any further questions.

      Best Regards,

  31. Profile Picture For PHP
    YAP August 3, 2017 at 2:59 pm - Reply

    my company is a restaurant operate in Malaysia more than 10 years, recently need to apply an Restaurant Manager from Hong Kong, had been informed that the company need a WRT license since 100% owned by foreigner, your company provide service to assist on the WRT application ?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page September 28, 2017 at 4:22 pm

      Dear Yap,

      Yes, we would be happy to assist with your WRT application. My colleague will email you with the necessary details.

      Please do not hesitate to email us at or if you have any more questions.

      Best Regards,

  32. Profile Picture For PHP
    JK June 3, 2017 at 5:04 pm - Reply

    Hi, to setup a car leasing company, what special license required?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page September 28, 2017 at 5:12 pm

      Dear JK,

      Thank you for getting in touch. My colleague will email you regarding your query.

      Best Regards,

  33. Profile Picture For PHP
    Ms Chan May 9, 2017 at 1:42 am - Reply

    Hello, I need advice on applying for business license to run educational learning services like courses, workshops etc in kl.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      bing May 18, 2017 at 10:33 am

      Dear Ms Chan.

      The type of business license require depends on the type of courses and workshops that you are running. As different type of courses/classes might fall under the control of different govt department. Also, if you are running your lessons from a permanent location. Then you need to consider the premise license as well. To fully understand this field, we would suggest for you to disclose more information to us or even schedule an appointment with us in order to discuss further.


  34. Profile Picture For PHP
    DChong April 20, 2017 at 6:44 pm - Reply

    Hi, I am planning to publish a children educational workbook to be given away on purchase of an educational kit. The sale of the educational kit is ok as I have a registered sole proprietorship but I am wondering if I need a publishing licence to give out the workbook (for free) which is solely designed by me.
    Thank you

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page April 27, 2017 at 4:22 pm

      Yes, you would need a publishing permit even though the book alone is not for sale but to be given away together with the educational kit. We would encourage to arrange with our business consultant to understand the details and steps needed to apply for publishing permit. Thank you.

  35. Profile Picture For PHP
    OYZ January 2, 2017 at 1:53 pm - Reply

    Hi there,

    Happy New Year! I want to go into the education business, namely language centers. I am in midst of forming a Sdn. Bhd. company for that. May I know what kind of license and the procedures to take?


    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page January 5, 2017 at 10:33 am

      Hi there, Thanks for enquiry. Company licenses are important for any business to be conducted in Malaysia. But whether your business/company is required to obtain such license, we need to have a discussion to run things through before we can give you the best suggestion.
      Hence we would like to recommend you to set up an appointment with our country manager, Mr Neo ( and +6012-3830252). During the appointment, we will discuss your requirement and propose the best solution for you.


  36. Profile Picture For PHP
    Md Shameem Ahammed October 23, 2016 at 10:17 am - Reply

    I want to start business for Restorant & mobile laptop accessories selas & repair.
    not sealing the laptop or mobile just repair.

    I am a foreigner exact what kind of licanse I need.
    I need also the director work permit.

    before I going to process the set up of company I need to know what is the best way for me.

    Best Regards
    Md Shameem Ahammed

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page November 29, 2016 at 2:27 pm

      Dear Shameem,

      Restaurants and electronic equipment sales and repair businesses are quite common in Malaysia.

      It would be easier to set up such businesses in Malaysia if you have local partners. The companies incorporated to run these businesses must be a joint venture between local and foreign partners.

      Setting up a purely foreign company to run these businesses require special licenses and business structures which we will advise you to arrange a consultation session with us. Director work permit will be discussed in the consultation session as well.

      Kindly contact Mr. Neo our country manager at +6012-383 0252 or

  37. Profile Picture For PHP
    Chong Chia Li July 25, 2016 at 5:32 pm - Reply

    My company is providing security system (Alarm,CCTV,Door Access ect) and smart home system for house,office and factory. May i know what licence i need to apply for? My office at Kuchai Entrepreneurs Park. Which local Authority i need to go for the business licence application?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page August 15, 2016 at 2:55 pm

      Dear Chong,

      I will need more information from you to better advice you. Do drop us an email at

  38. Profile Picture For PHP
    Lotus June 21, 2016 at 12:15 pm - Reply


    We are setting up a mini cafe, our cafe serve tea, coffee, fruit juice, bake bread, bake chicken& fish, spaghetti, bake egg, cake and dessert. We also playing some music from online fm. please advice what type of license we shall apply?

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page June 21, 2016 at 2:22 pm

      Dear Lotus,

      Depending on the place of business, you will need to obtain a license from the local town council to get a operating license and also license to play commercial music. Of course to start you will also need to register a company for a business license. If you are a foreigner, you will have to look at Wholesale Retail Trade WRT business license in Malaysia.

      There are four types of WRT licenses, approval is renewable every 2 years and the category eligible to apply for the following businesses to operate in Malaysia:
      1. Retail, Trading (Import and Export), Distributive Trades
      2. Restaurant
      3. Franchise Business
      4. Services and Consultancy

      Do drop us an email to give us more details in-order for us to assist you with the right solution.


  39. Profile Picture For PHP
    Kyna June 4, 2016 at 1:34 pm - Reply

    I am thinking of setting up Sdn Bhd for a consultant and engineering business. Directorships Malaysian and foreigner.



    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page June 6, 2016 at 3:04 pm

      Dear Kyna,

      It is great to be able to setup your own Sdn Bhd, our corporate specialist will be able to assist you with all the compliance required in order to register your company and start your business.

      We will drop you an email shortly.


  40. Profile Picture For PHP
    franco April 7, 2016 at 9:12 am - Reply


    my company would like to get a media and publishing license to run magazine business .
    kindly advice the package and requirement.

    • Profile Picture For PHP
      Paul Hype Page May 31, 2016 at 10:51 am

      Dear Franco,

      My consultant will contact you shortly with regards to the procedures to setting up a Sdn Bhd (private Limited Company) in Malaysia as well as the different types of business license.

      Thank you

Go to Top