Professional Visit Pass
The Professional Visit Pass (PVP) is issued to skilled foreign worker who intend to provide service to a company in Malaysia on behalf of a foreign company and is usually for short-term attachment or internships. As this pass is only issued on a temporary basis, the duration of stay is just one time, and must not exceed 12 months. All along, the foreign worker remains employed by their home company in their home country.
This pass is extendable for another year long period, but this is only possible if the foreign worker has served a cooling period or break of 3 months outside of this country after the initial 12 months period has expired. Each time an extension is requested, a new application must be submitted.
There are several possible courses of event or activities that require one to hold the Professional Visit Pass such as:
- Attending a training
- Visiting or invited by lecturer or professor
- As a research assistant
- For a seminar, course, or as a training speaker
- Volunteer services
To apply for this pass, there are few criteria to be met:
- A graduate with a minimum of bachelor’s degree and above
- Must have number of years of working experience in the chosen industry or position applied. For internships, applicant must study in the related field.
- Possess the right expertise or skillset that cannot be filled by a Malaysian candidate
- There should be a foreign company (home country) that employs the expatriate and his or her salary must be continued to be borne by the home company.
- Allowances, fringe benefits or stipend may be given to the expat during this course of time, but it may be subjected to tax.
This pass is 10-year pass which is issued for highly qualified expats to continue residing and working in Malaysia. One of the major advantages of this pass is that it offers the expats the flexibility to change job/ employers during the validity of the pass. This pass is best suited for owner or investor type of founders. Below are the requirements to apply for this pass:
- Have been continuously working in Malaysia for at least 3 years.
- Possesses a total of 5 years work experiences.
- Earning a gross taxable income of at least RM144,000 per annum.
- Have been paying Malaysian Income Tax for a minimum of 2 years.
- The application must be supported by current Malaysian employer by the issuance of No Objection Letter.