The hotel industry in Malaysia is one of the country’s most thriving sectors, thanks to its reputation as one of the world’s leading tourism countries. With thousands of tourists flocking to its shores each year, the hospitality and tourism sector as benefitted immensely. Along with this development, the growth of the hotel sector too. For an entrepreneur to own and operate a hotel, you will need to apply for a Hotel License in Malaysia.
Acquiring a Hotel License in Malaysia
The regulating authority which is responsible for the implementation of provisions and enforcement in the tourism sector is the Ministry of Tourism and Culture. They ensure that the requirements of the Tourism Industry Act and Tourism Vehicles Licensing Act are adhered to.
If your dream is to become a hotelier in Malaysia, the process of acquiring your license is going to happen in 4 stages. All 4 stages are going to require approvals, which need to happen concurrently.
You will also be required to apply for at least a minimum of 12 approvals before your business can commence. This 12-approval requirement assumes that your hotel is already completed and ready for occupancy. The approvals will depend upon what kind of hotel rating you intend to have as your business.
You will, however, be able to apply for a maximum of 22 approvals. Again, this depends on how many business activities you intend to operate in your hotel. This can be a lengthy process, which is why we recommend you enlist our services to help you out. Paul Hype Page has plenty of experience helping foreigners get started with their hotel business in Malaysia, and we will guide you every step of the way.
Any entrepreneur who intends to operate a hotel establishment will be required by law to have their business registered and licensed. This must be done before operations can commence. The types of licensing that will be required include:
- Tourist Accommodation Premises License (issued by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture)
- Signboard and Premise License
- A Halal License
- License to sell alcoholic beverages in your hotel’s bars, restaurants and coffee shops
- License for the use of advertisement and commercials on the hotel’s premise
- License to create a swimming pool and parking lot on the hotel’s premise
- License for indoor facilities and entertainment
License to open a beauty salon within the hotel (if applicable)
Other Requirements to Start a Hotel Business in Malaysia
Aside from fulfilling the licensing requirements in Malaysia, there will be other requirements that need to be met to successful begin operating your business. Other requirements here include:
- Completing the company incorporation Malaysia process by registering your business with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM). This is a requirement by the Companies Act. Ensure all your incorporation documents are for a smoother process.
- Reserving your company name and completing all the required documentation. This can be done after a quick company name search.
- Registering with the local tax authorities (Sales and Service Tax may be applicable).
- Ensuring all compliance requirements are met.
- You must be registered with the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) Malaysia as required by law
- You must register your employees for SOCSO (Social Security Organisation)
- Opening a corporate bank account for your business.
Your company registration process will be handled with the assistance of your Company Secretary. A hotel can be registered as a Private Limited Company (Sdn Bhd or Sendirian Berhad), and it is mandated that such companies have at least one Company Secretary in addition to the directors and shareholders. This includes boutique hotels which are incorporated as a Sdn Bhd company. Once you have received your certificate of incorporation from SSM, you will be able to open a hotel and start your business right away.
Other Factors About Malaysia’s Hotel Industry
Starting a hotel business in Malaysia can be a promising venture. There are, however, several other factors that you would need to consider. These considerations include:
- The cost of starting your business and the available source of funding that you have.
- The competition is high within Malaysia’s tourism sector, and it is important to survey who your competitors are before your set up your business. This can easily be done through market evaluation.
- You will be able to source highly qualified individuals to fill the roles within your business. Working with an employment agency in Malaysia can help with sourcing employees who will be the right fit.
- Choosing the right location is going to determine the volume of business that you receive throughout the year.
Hotel operators who intend to hire foreign workers in their hotel establishment will need to get the necessary Malaysian work permit visas. The hotel management industry is all about providing great customer service and experience to your guests, so hiring the right staff makes a difference!
Ready to Incorporate a Company in Malaysia?
If you’re ready to incorporate a company in Malaysia, we’re ready to help. At Paul Hype Page, the success of our clients is among our main priorities. We’ve powered dozens of entrepreneurs from all over the world, helping them successfully start up their business in Singapore and Malaysia. To find out more about the services we offer, visit our website today or contact us for more details.
Paul Hype Page & Co – SSM service provider and Asean Chartered Accountant.
Paul Hype Page & Co. have 3 physical offices in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia
Our Firm Goal is to assist Foreigner and Foreign Companies to set up business in Asean.
How we can help you:
We will call you back, please click below link and make appointment with our Sales consultant:
Step 1- Listen to your Business plan and Relocation needs.
Step 2- Analysis your Malaysia Tax Planning
Step 3- Recommend the most suited type of Company Incorporation, Open Bank account and Work Visa
Step 4- Arrange for your Spouse and Children Visa
Step 5- Assist as your company to hire staffs and handle all HR matters
Step 6- Every financial year end, we assist you with your yearly SSM Finanical and Tax Compliance
Step 7- Assist you to expand business to Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand.
Get in Touch with Us Today.
Paul Hype Page